The site renovation design is planned about the existing site parti of the Civic Center buildings and includes north, south and west parking lots, events plaza located between City Hall, Public Safety and South Office buildings and entrance plaza’s located on the north and east sides of the City Hall and activity plaza. Landscape driveways, garden walls and trellis define pedestrian pathways and create architectural buffer to filter views of parking from building and street. Entrance plaza and stair collaborate with building architecture to define primary points for building entry and establish building plinth and landscape foreground to unify site building parti and enhance streetscape. The exterior building design for the expansion and renovation uses massing, proportion and detail inherent to the 1930’s City Hall to create a unified architectural vernacular for the campus. The design replaces window framing and glazing; adds building entry arch and tower, terra cotta detail, roof fascia detail, lighting details, raised planters and garden walls.
Owner: City of San Leandro
Builder: Nibbi Brothers Construction
Status: Complete 1997 Fall